July looks like to be a good month for boxing. Or so it seems. With so many big fights scheduled for the seventh month of the year, any boxing fan would have compelling reasons to celebrate. Of course, it would be too early to have some kind of jubilation at this point. Duds are and will always be a staple fixture in this sport.
But with so many significant fights happening this July, there is simply no reason not to be giddied about the whole shebang.
July 1, 2011
- “Mighty” Mark Jason Melligen vs. Sebastian Andres Lujan, San Antonio, Texas (light middleweight bout)
July 2, 2011
- Edrin “The Sting” Dapudong vs. Hernan “Tyson” Marquez , Sonora, Mexico (WBA light flyweight title bout)
- Wladimir “Dr. Steelhammer” Klitschko vs. David “Hayemaker” Haye, Hamburg, Germany (IBF, IBO, WBA, and WBO heavyweight unification bout)
July 9, 2011
- Mercito “No Mercy” Gesta vs. Francisco Lorenzo, Carson, California, USA (lightweight bout; no official announcement from Top Rank regarding Lorenzo’s status)
- Brandon “BamBam” Rios vs. Urbano Antillon, Carson, California, USA (WBA lightweight title bout)
- Paul “The Punisher” Williams vs. Erislandy Lara, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA (light middleweight bout)
July 16, 2011
- Brian “Hawaiian Punch” Viloria vs. Julio Cesar Miranda, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (WBO flyweight title bout)
July 23, 2011
- Amir “King” Khan vs. Zab Judah, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (WBA and IBF light welterweight unification bout)