2 Flares 2 Flares ×

Denver Cuello earned a shot at a world title, but it won’t be against the Japanese fighter he challenged numerous times after Kazuto Ioka decided to vacate his World Boxing Council strawweight title.

Cuello, who is the No.1 contender for Ioka’s WBC title, will have his chance to carve his name in history as he collides with Thai contender Wanheng Menayothin, but the fight date and location has yet to be decided.

In an interview with Philstar.com, Cuello’s manager Aljoe Jaro said that their top priority is fighting Ioka, but now that they ended up with Wanheng, Jaro said that he will be pushing for the fight to be held in Manila.

But if he can’t get enough support to bring the fight to Manila, Jaro said that he will be considering the fight to be held in Las Vegas later this year.

“If I can’t get support for a fight in Manila, I’ll get Canelo Promotions of Mexico or Golden Boy to take it to Las Vegas, perhaps in the undercard of Saul Alvarez’ next defense of the WBC light middleweight title on Sept. 15,” Jaro said.

Ioka would have been an ideal fight for Cuello, who is trying to carve his name in the list of elites in his weight class.

The Japanese boxer recently made noise in the division after successfully unifying the WBC and WBA title when he outclassed countryman Akira Yaegashi last month.

Wanheng, on the other hand, will not be a push-over as well as proven by his perfect 23-0 record, highlighted by 15 wins against Filipinos that includes former world champion Florante Condes.

After the Wanheng fight, Jaro said that they will consider moving up to 108-pound division where big fights against the likes of Ioka and unbeaten WBA light flyweight champion Roman Gonzales await the Filipino slugger.

Get automatic updates! Subscribe to Our RSS Feed or Get Email Updates sent straight to your inbox!