2 Flares 2 Flares ×

Jorge Arce is now out of the picture for Nonito Donaire (29-1-0, 18KOs), at least for now, as Top Rank boss Bob Arum announced the “Filipino Flash” will face Japanese contender Toshiaki Nishioka (39-4-3, 24KOs) instead of the flamboyant Mexican.

“Donaire will be fighting on October 13 against Nishioka at the Home Depot,” Donaire said in an interview with Manila Standard.

Donaire, who expressed his intention to fight Nishioka before, will defend his World Boxing Organization and International Boxing Federation super bantamweight title against Japanese on October 13 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

Last month, Top Rank revealed that they struck a deal that will pit Donaire against Arce, but according to Arum, Arce reportedly asked for too much money, which prompted the promoter to get him out of the Donaire’s radar.

Donaire also considered a title-unification bout against WBA champion Guillermo Rigondeaux or WBC ruler Abner Mares, but the 29-year-old Filipino champion believes that the Japanese contender is better than the two title-holders.

“I think that the best guy in this division that I want to prove myself against is Nishioka,” Donaire said. “I think that Nishioka is the better of all of the guys. He’s proven himself in this weight class to be the real champion.”

Nishioka, who was at ringside when Donaire defeated Jeffrey Mathebula for the IBF title, has been idle since defeating Rafael Marquez on October 1, 2011 via unanimous decision.

Aside from the Donaire-Nishioka showdown, the fight card will also co-feature the much-anticipated title showdown between WBA lightweight titleholder Brandon Rios (30-0-1, 23KOs) and Mike Alvarado (33-0, 23KOs).

Rios is coming off a controversial split-decision victory over Richard Abril last April, while Alvarado dominated Mauricio Herrera during his last fight, scoring a one-sided unanimous decision.

Get automatic updates! Subscribe to Our RSS Feed or Get Email Updates sent straight to your inbox!