Multiple reports suggested that Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire is set to fight Guillermo Rigondeaux in a title-unification, but the Filipino boxing icon said that the fight is not yet set in stone.
Donaire, who has been cold to the idea of the fighting their reigning World Boxing Association super bantamweight champion, said that he has heard about the April 27 fight against Rigondeaux, but he said that he has not yet confirmed it to his manager.
Donaire said: “Everyone’s saying April 27 is the date, and it’s Rigondeaux, but I don’t know anything about it yet, so I can’t say if it’s for sure. I know HBO wants to get that fight now. I’m good with it, but I still need to confirm it with manager Cameron Dunkin.”
When Donaire defeated Jorge Arce in their title fight last month, Abner Mares’ name floated as his next opponent, but the fight between the two champions is harder to arrange since Donaire is handled by Top Rank, while Mares is with the Golden Boy Promotions.
The 30-year-old Filipino champion said: “I wanted the Mares fight, but it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to make that, so I said, ‘Give me Rigondeaux and then Darchinyan, one after the other. Then after that, Chris John at 126 pounds. These are the three guys I want to fight this year. Let’s make it happen.”
A fight with Rigondeaux will also silenced Donaire’s critics, who are saying that the unanimous choice for the 2012 Fighter of the Year award is afraid of the two-time Olympic champion because he can’t handle the speed of the 32-year-old Cuban champion.
“They said at the beginning that I wouldn’t be able to handle Darchinyan, and I proved them wrong. They said I was going to have a hard time moving up to 118 points with Fernando Montiel especially, and I took him out early. I always challenge myself to prove people wrong,” Donaire confidently said.