Top Rank promotions chief Bob Arum blasted the offer of rival Golden Boy Promotions to arrange a title bout between World Boxing Organization super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire and World Boxing Council champion Abner Mares.
In the contract sent by GBP CEO Richard Schaefer to Arum’s lawyer David Marroso, Donaire will receive $3 million as purse for a possible title fight against Mares in June, which will be televised by Showtime Boxing.
In an interview with Manila Standard, Arum said: “Nonito knows – and he’s nice boy and realizes it – that because of HBO he has been able to fight four times on television last year and that enabled him to become ‘Fighter of the Year’. It would be the essence of disloyalty on his part and on my part if we allowed a fight with Nonito and Mares to be on Showtime.”
Arum also blasted Golden Boy for scheduling the fight in June, which was deemed as “impossible” by Arum because Donaire’s wife is scheduled to have a baby in June.
Mares, who has been very vocal about his intention to fight the consensus 2012 Fighter of the Year, expressed his disappointment with Donaire’s decision and thanked his promoters for trying to arrange what he described as the fight the fans wanted to witness.
Mares posted on his Twitter account: “Unfortunately Nonito Donaire has turned down the fight against myself. I just want to thank my promoter Golden Boy & my manager Espinoza Boxing for their attempts to try and make a fight that the fans really wanted to see.”
Now that the Mares fight is officially dead, Arum said that Top Rank and Donaire will honor their commitment with HBO to stage a fight on April 13. The famed promoter said that they will announce the details of the fight soon with speculations suggesting that Donaire will face World Boxing Association champion Guillermo Rigondeaux.