In a statement from Mayweather through his official Twitter and Facebook account, the undefeated American champion said that he is set to fight International Boxing Federation champion Devon Alexander on May 4 in Las Vegas.
Mayweather posted on his Twitter and Facebook account: “The negotiations for my fight are almost done. The front runner is IBF Champion Devon Alexander. It’d be a unification bout at welterweight.”
The reigning pound-for-pound king’s statement came as a surprise to many because Mayweather previously hinted that a fight against Roberto “The Ghost” Guerrero in the main event of Cinco De Mayo fight card has been agreed upon by both parties.
But while Mayweather thinks that a fight against Guerrero is almost set, the International Boxing Federation released a statement, stating that they will not approve the proposed Mayweather vs Alexander title-unification bout.
IBF said that Alexander should defend his title against mandatory challenger Kell Brook, who was supposed to get a shot at the title before Alexander pulled out of the fight on Monday, citing a biceps injury that needs to be rested for the next six weeks.
IBF also said that Alexander, who won the title via unanimous decision win against Randal Bailey last October, did not ask an exemption from them, reiterating that the reigning champion will not be granted an exemption anymore because he is already slated to fight Brook.
The 35-year-old World Boxing Association Super World light middleweight champion last stepped on the ring in May last year when he scored a convincing unanimous decision victory over Miguel Cotto. After the fight, Mayweather served two months of jail time and it is still yet to be seen how it will affect his performance in his next fight.
[Image Source: NY Daily News]